History

1975 – The Tri City Churches Resale Shop opens its doors to serve the Tri-City area of Stafford, Missouri City and Sugar Land. Founding congregations included:

  • All Saints Lutheran Church
  • Episcopal Church of the Advent
  • First Presbyterian Church of Sugar Land
  • First United Methodist Church of Missouri City
  • Holy Family Catholic Church
  • New Hope Lutheran Church
  • St. Theresa Catholic Church
  • Sugar Land First United Methodist Church

The Resale Shop distributed profits to special concerns of their member churches. The balance was pledged on behalf of people on an individual basis, paid utility bills, or was donated to local organizations such as First Bend Literacy, The Garden and The Women’s Center.

1983 – The Interfaith Food Pantry opened its doors in a temporary building behind New Hope Lutheran Church. Founding congregations included:

  • Bethel Baptist Church
  • Episcopal Church of the Advent
  • First Colony Christian Church
  • First Presbyterian Church of Sugar Land
  • First United Methodist Church of Missouri City
  • New Hope Lutheran Church

1985 – The Food Pantry moved up the street to its own facilities at 1086 FM 1092, Suite 405.

1990 – This year marked the birth of the East Fort Bend Human Needs Ministry, Inc. and the Financial Assistance program, which provided rent, mortgage and utility assistance to those in short-term crisis. As a separate entity, it shared facilities with the Food Pantry. Founding congregations included:

  • Episcopal Church of the Advent
  • First Colony Christian Church
  • First Presbyterian Church of Sugar Land
  • First United Methodist Church of Missouri City
  • Southminster Presbyterian Church
  • Sugar Land First United Methodist Church

Since this date, the Pantry added the Senior Sack and Holiday Basket programs to its emergency food program. Another church group ran a bread line in the same facility.

1992 – The Food Pantry dissolved its 501-C-3 status to become an official arm of the East Fort Bend Human Needs Ministry. The enhanced Ministry moved to its location beside the Resale Shop. No longer sharing space with the bread line program, the Food Pantry introduced Supplemental Sacks. Financial Assistance began offering medical assistance. The Resale Shop started making regular donations to the Financial Assistance program.

1995 – The Food Pantry added fresh milk to its Full Food Order groceries.

1996 – The Resale Shop merged with the Ministry. As of March 1, all profits were transferred directly to the Financial Assistance Program.

1997 – The Resale Shop distributed profits to the Financial Assistance and Food Pantry programs, and to Ministry administrative expenses.

1998 – The Board of Directors voted to build new facilities. The Ministry introduced a back-to-school program, S.O.S.- Supply Our Students, supplying under-resourced children with school supplies.

2000 – In March, the Ministry moved into its new facility at 425 Stafford Run Road, Stafford, and that year it celebrated its tenth anniversary as an entity.

2003 – On Friday, January 17, 2003, our building officially became the property of EFBHNM. The funds used by the Capital Campaign enabled the Ministry to purchase the property and facilities at 425 Stafford Run Road, Stafford, TX.

2008 – In December, construction began on a new facility for EFBHNM located on the property next to the existing building.
2009 – In September, the Ministry moved into its new facility located at 435 Stafford Run Road.  The new building is 13,000 square feet and houses the food pantry, financial assistance program, private client interview rooms, education classrooms and administrative offices. The Tri-City Churches Resale Shop will be renovated and will expand to 10,000 sq. ft.
2010 – In February, the renovation of Tri-City Churches Resale Shop was completed. The Resale Show has now expanded to 10,000 sq. ft. with increased space for merchandise and storage. Tri-City Churches Resale Shop is the largest funding source for East Fort Bend Human Needs Ministry. Proceeds from Tri-City Churches Resale Shop benefit East Fort Bend Human Needs Ministry.